Introducing the Alfresco Gamification Addon

by Bhagya Nirmaan Silva at Redpill-Linpro, Karlstad, Sweden

Before my first visit to Stockholm to attend an Alfresco Share workshop, I was asked to come up with something interesting and useful to be developed during the workshop. I was giving it a thought and suddenly, it felt that Alfresco is missing something that I have become much familiar through the last few years. What is it? Gamification.

Of course, you already might have been awarded a few badges on your social sites like Stack-Overflow, foursquare, gowalla, getglue and many more . If you are still unfamiliar with the concept, try the below introduction.

Simply explained, gamification makes engagement more fun. It is the bigger and virtual version of being awarded a candy whenever you do something good when you were small. The users who positively engage with the system will be rewarded with virtual badges for their activity with the system. It also brings excitement and a sense of appreciation for the users.

Alfresco Gamification Addon contains two components built separately.

Rewarding Module : Awards badges to the users based on activities performed on Nodes. This attaches itself to Alfresco Default behaviors noticing changes made by the users.
Rewards View Dashlet : A Simple Alfresco Share Dashlet which displays the badges the user has achieved.

Additionally, it is possible to publish user rewards to the Alfresco Activity Feed. However, this was not implemented in the first release.

The Alfresco cm:user model is extended to add a mandatory aspect which keeps track of user activity and badges.

This is how it looks like when you have it installed and added to the users dashboard.

Alfresco Gamification Dashlet

Alfresco Gamification Dashlet

Clicking on a badge would display a text explaining the reason for the badge.

Text explaining the reason for awarding the badge.

Text explaining the reason for awarding a badge in Alfresco Gamification Addon

The badges used are from symb.ly (Thank you guys!) In future versions of the addon, expect some Alfresco exclusive badges.

The addon is now available on github on the following locations. Give it a go and feel free to extend and make more additions, you will be able to contact me via github or through comments. :-)

Cheers!!!

About Bhagya Nirmaan Silva

simple and open hearted :) about.me/bhagyas
This entry was posted in Alfresco and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Introducing the Alfresco Gamification Addon

1. Erik says:

Nice work mate!

• bhagya says:

Thanks Erik! :)

• Debrah says:

Arrr, those be just the thing for the barefoot beauty in my icon. She’s been priccitang her piratical one-eyed glare since just about birth, so she’ll fit right in!Happy birthday, Elise! I come bearing (a link to) .

• mtuo.com says:

joniway28 enero, 2009Como idea no está mal. A la gente que no le guste andar le puede venir bien como motivación el ver cuantos pasos, calorias ha gastado ese día, y ver como día a día va aumentando los kilómetros que anda. Pero la gente que ya anda todos los días o hace algún tipo de deporte, este juego no creo que se lo compren.

• A parte che la Babayeva non si chiama Sabrina ma SÉ™binÉ™ (Sabina nella translitterazione occidentale), ma vorrei chiedervi una cosa: ma è stata la stessa SMTV a comunicarvi che non trasmetterà via satellite l’ESC 2012?

• http://www./ says:

Jerry –I think Gonzo worried too much about chemistry(i.e making Harvey happy). Willard should just play the guys that deserve the playing time — The competetion should be good for the team.As for RU, before making them the favorites for the Big East in 2011, lets make sure the kids all get into to schoool and are as good as the experts say. I hope Rice does not turn out to be like Gonzo, good with lesser players but unable to rise to the next level with the big boys.P.S. How is fatherhood? Is the kid toilet trained yet?

• http://www./ says:

Boikot si saya dukung,, tp jgn-jgn blogdetik ini engine blognya (WordPress) buatan dia lagi?? Hi,,hi,, ga lucu kan kita2 teriak boikot disini,eh ternyata WP bener buatan dia (usa dan israel),ups satu lagi browser yg kita pake (IE,MOzilla,Opera dll) buatan org amrik bukan ya?? Sy klarifikasi dulu ach,, takut malu,,

• Lol, feel the same way. I did however go to the CN tower for the first time ever 2 weeks ago. I’d always wanted to check it out since I was a kid and would visit Toronto from my hometown of Montreal but never got a chance. After 4 years here I figured it was a must do.

• http://www./ says:

I conceive other website proprietors should take this internet site as an model, very clean and superb user pleasant style . “Grant us a brief delay impulse in everything is but a worthless servant.” by Caecilius Statius.

• en restant sur le thème du livre, on commence tout doucement à mettre à jour la version anglaise du livre pour Debian Wheezy et bien entendu on mettra à jour la traduction française dès que cela sera terminé. Je parle

• Photography is my biggest passion in life and for a while I thought that I would try to make it into a career. Once I started thinking of my art as source of income it lost a little of its magic, so to speak. I nixed the idea of becoming a professional because who wants the thing that they turn to in times of stress to turn into the source of stress? Thanks for being open and I totally understand what you are feeling!

• http://www./ says:

LiviBenéztem hozzád is!megfogtál az eper leveseddel!Az eper a kedvenc gyümim!Kimondhatatlanúl imádom!Csak kisérletezz vele,én megkostolom!Jöhet minden formában!!.:)De simán megenném ezt a csírkés pitás cuccost is.)Szimpatikus!:))

• Simply wish to say your article is as astonishing. The clearness to your submit is simply great and that i can think you’re knowledgeable in this subject. Well with your permission let me to grasp your RSS feed to keep up to date with drawing close post. Thank you a million and please carry on the rewarding work.

2. Nice Work Mate!. Learned about something that i have seen before but never knew about it in details . Great Job ! :)