A customer today reported a problem where version history was not what you would expect between the 1.0 and the 1.1 versions in Alfresco Share. A bit of background history to start with:

As soon as content is dropped into a site, it will get its type changed to rl:customType. This type adds a new properties such as rl:documentNumber and others. The rl:documentNumber is generated for all new content added to the site. All this is done in a behaviour listening at onCreateNode on Transaction commit.

@Override
public void afterPropertiesSet() throws Exception {
	super.afterPropertiesSet();
	Assert.notNull(policyComponent);
	if (!isInitialized()) {
	  if (LOG.isTraceEnabled())
	    LOG.trace("Initialized " + this.getClass().getName());
	  policyComponent.bindClassBehaviour(OnCreateNodePolicy.QNAME, ContentModel.TYPE_CONTENT, new JavaBehaviour(this, "onCreateNode", NotificationFrequency.TRANSACTION_COMMIT));
	}
}

The problem that appeared when a version 1.1 was created through editing the uploaded document. When browsing the version history you could see that the 1.0 version did not have a rl:documentNumber set, however, the 1.1 version did. So the conclusion was that the version 1.0 was actually created before transaction commit in the version store. If this is a feature or a bug, I don’t know, but the solution is simple. In your behaviour, bind on the first event instead of transaction commit as this will correctly make sure that everything written to the node in the behaviour also ends up in the versioning history.

@Override
public void afterPropertiesSet() throws Exception {
	super.afterPropertiesSet();
	Assert.notNull(policyComponent);
	if (!isInitialized()) {
	  if (LOG.isTraceEnabled())
	    LOG.trace("Initialized " + this.getClass().getName());
	  policyComponent.bindClassBehaviour(OnCreateNodePolicy.QNAME, ContentModel.TYPE_CONTENT, new JavaBehaviour(this, "onCreateNode", NotificationFrequency.FIRST_EVENT));
	}
}
This entry was posted in Alfresco, Behaviours, Version History. Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Specialize type upon content creation within behaviour can result in invalid version history

1. Axel Faust says:

Hello Marcus,

this is neither a feature nor a bug, just a misunderstanding of how auto-versioning works. Auto-versioning IS a TRANSACTION_COMMIT level behaviour and you can never guarantee that your custom TRANSACTION_COMMIT level behaviour will be called before the auto-versioning behaviour.
    In my point-of-view, TRANSACTION_COMMIT should be a highly discouraged notification frequency. We almost never use it in our projects, because there are too many pitfalls that developers simply do not consider (e.g. runAs and permission). For me, only EVERY_EVENT is a valid frequency and FIRST_EVENT is virtually useless – for OnCreateNodePolicy EVERY_EVENT and FIRST_EVENT are completely identical because a node can only be created once anyway.

Regards, Axel

2. Marcus Svensson says:

Hi Axel,

Great input, I had actually not looked into how auto-versioning is implemented.

Transaction commit is as you say obviously a pitfall when it comes to auto versioning. To bind on transaction commit is used quite commonly among alfresco developers, and this case shows that you cannot blindly bind on transaction commit without understanding the underlying mechanics.

Regards,
    Marcus

3. Peter Monks says:

Axel, the problem with EVERY_EVENT is that it can be called numerous times within a single transaction (a lot more than you might expect), so unless your behaviour logic is fast+in-repository-only (no RPCs, no external data access, etc.) or asynchronous, it’s easy to seriously impact Alfresco’s performance. Compounding this is that some of Alfresco’s access mechanisms (e.g. CIFS) can result in a lot of small Alfresco transactions for every “user transaction”. This quickly becomes a multiplicative problem.

Personally speaking, I’ve found TRANSACTION_COMMIT behaviours the best compromise between the “uselessness” of FIRST_EVENT and the almost-certain performance penalties of EVERY_EVENT. You then just have to face up to the realities of auto-versioning (if present).

It’s also worth pointing out that these characteristics of auto-versioning aren’t specific to custom behaviours – there are other ways that these kinds of corner cases can occur (e.g. CMIS).

4. Axel Faust says:

Peter:
    I require our devs to include the necessary “early check and bail out”, e.g. checking the affected store and actual change (if a property value has actually been modified or the correct aspect been applied). If you do that, then there is very limited chance of noticable performance penalty, because the actual state transitions that interest you should not occur multiple times in a transaction and also not without user interaction (which would exclude crazy stuff from CIFS et al).
    Unfortunately, I see a lot of people in the community (via their code) that have implemented their behaviours in a very naiive way, assuming only the use case they are working on will trigger the behaviour. Behaviours implemented that way will definitely be obliterated by performance penalties when switching to EVERY_EVENT.

Behaviours in my point of view should / must almost never include any logic that is reliant on remote data, either external data sources or indices. That should be reserved for jobs or asynchronous actions that may merely be triggered by the behaviour. I have seen few use cases that really require transaction-scoped external data access/import with real-time data consistency.

My preference for EVERY_EVENT is rooted in the experience that 4 out of 5 behaviour problems in past projects or found in reviews of customer code were due to TRANSACTION_COMMIT and could have easily been avoided. Also 1 in 10 workarounds/patches we have had to code to deal with Alfresco out-of-the-box features in the past were due to Alfresco default behaviours being TRANSACTION_COMMIT – most of the time, this meant auto-versioning (e.g. patches to SPP, versioning hacks for workflow runAsSystem logic).

• Peter Monks says:

Yeah early bail is a good strategy in all custom behaviours regardless of notification frequency, although of course those checks still have non-zero costs that get multiplied by the number of times an EVERY_EVENT custom behaviour is triggered. Accessing the node that the event is being triggered for (a common way that bail out logic is implemented) is usually ok (due to caching), but pretty much any repository operation can result in database I/O (especially when Alfresco is under load), so I usually err on the side of caution and assume that even that will be expensive (milliseconds).

I’ve rarely seen the kinds of issues you’re describing with TRANSACTION_COMMIT, and when I have it’s almost always been due to assumptions about the order in which behaviours are invoked (which are always wrong – behaviour invocation order is non-deterministic). Ensuring that custom behaviours function correctly no matter what state the data is in at the time of invocation goes a long way towards avoiding these problems. This won’t fix issues in Alfresco’s own logic (such as the auto-versioning behaviour), but a support case should always be the first response when that kind of thing is observed.

I’d suggest that the moral of this story is that the custom behaviours extension point has more subtle complexities than might meet the inexperienced eye, and they should therefore be used sparingly…

5. Peter Monks says:

I just remembered a functional limitation of EVERY_EVENT notifications that doesn’t exist for TRANSACTION_COMMIT (I don’t know and haven’t checked how this works for FIRST_EVENT notifications, since I don’t use them).

The scenario is when a custom behaviour is supposed to veto certain operations – for example vetoing the removal of an aspect from a node if certain conditions aren’t met. A common way to do this (since behaviours don’t have return types to dictate subsequent control flow) is to throw an exception from within the custom behaviour – this should, in theory, bubble up to the logic that handles the enclosing transaction and result in a rollback, thereby achieving the requirement of vetoing the operation.

It turns out that some (most? all?) of the logic responsible for firing behaviours on EVERY_EVENT swallows any exceptions thrown by custom behaviours, so the veto fails and the operation succeeds when it shouldn’t. This is not the case for TRANSACTION_COMMIT, which will let the exception bubble up and therefore cause the transaction to roll back (i.e. a successful veto).

As a side note, the error messages in this case aren’t great – that’s an area that could do with improvement imho.

• Terry says:

You are right my only child is dead as well as my only sibling, a brother. I’m trying to make it home before taking drastic measures. Thanks so much for your concern and efforts. I am ovelwhermed. Oh how I wish I had a sister to walk with me through this. I feel so utterly alone.

• Good morning,Your cake looks tempting and must tasted delicious. Definitely must try. We need to take care of ourselves and make exercise a priority. God be with you.

• http://www./ says:

Your piece is clever in expressing your pain. Hope all who read it get it. As for my piece, I thank you for your support for I do not think anyone else reads it.

• You’ve impressed us all with that posting!

• http://www./ says:

sorry but i dis agree with all of u guys i think it shoulda uter shirt witha cute skirt and some long shoes tennis with the cuteset tote bag

• Although… modern remixes do have hidden gems.Remember a bunch of kids on the corner listening to some rap. I stopped and listened for a moment, then nearly hurt myself from laughing. The underlying music was the theme from Knight Rider (the TV show). They had no clue.

• zangeif is my dude…most ppl would under rate him like a mofo so i mastered that motherfucker then i would move in and immediately put em in a 360 flying pile drive and take over half they power…cats would be mad as shit they got flexed on by zangeif.he used to fight bears, G…BEARS.—————————————————————— A good Chun-Li player or Guile player would break you out of that.

• Ciao Enrico, ecco qua:In ogni caso nelle prossime settimane posterò un’altra versione ri-adattata grazie ai vostri consigli sulla sicurezza! (sto studiando per voi hihi).

• Hey TanjaIch habe Dir immer gesagt, dass das was Du machst mir gut gefällt, jetzt hast Du die Bestätigung, das ich da nicht alleine bin mit der Meinung Mach weiter so, ich freue mich immer auf die neuen Layouts, schön das ich Sie meistens auch als erstes zu sehen bekomme Dein Mann

• You little sweet munchkin have really touched my heart even though I never knew you personally. I was thinking of you so much and then I saw the sad news. May you rest in peace little kitty. You were much loved..

• elaine24 de fevereiro de 2010Eu paguei 120 e daria todo meu salário só para ver o Franz Ferdinand!! Seja com ou sem área vip, o que eu quero, como fã, é ver o show!! Nem aí para esse pessoal que fala mal da banda, acho que é puuuuura inveja, já que a banda que tanto gostam não tem nenhuma pretensão de pisar em Bsb…!!